Pumpkin Soup with Moroccan Spiced Wonderful Pistachios
- 50 minutes
- 8-10 servings
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) shelled Wonderful Pistachios Roasted & Salted
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 ½ cups/ 625 ml)
- 6 ½ cups (about 1625 ml) butternut squash, peeled andchopped (each squash about 2 ¼ lbs/1 kg)
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml+) ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml+) group allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml+) cayenne
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml+) cracked black pepper
- 4 cups (1000 ml) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pomegranate arils
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and add chopped onions. Sauté forabout 5 minutes until translucent. Add squash and ½ cup (125 ml) of Wonderful Pistachios then sauté for another 5 minutes.
Combine all of the spices, salt, and pepper in a small bowl for spice mixture. Set aside.
Stir 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of spice mixture into the squash and onions, and cook for 3 minutes.Add chicken or vegetable broth to large pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook forabout 20 minutes until squash is tender.
Stir 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of the spice mixture and honey in a small pan over medium-high heat.Cook for about 1 minute until honey is foamy then stir in 1 cup (250 ml) Wonderful Pistachios to coat the nuts. Spread coated Wonderful Pistachios on a parchment-lined pan to cool.
Transfer soup to a blender and blend until very smooth. Serve soup immediately toppedwith the spiced Wonderful Pistachios and pomegranate arils. Return soup to the pot tokeep warm unless serving immediately.