Pear and Spinach Salad with Parmesan Vinaigrette
- 15 minutes
- 4 - 6 servings
Courtesy of USA Pears
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped or grated on a Microplane zester, about 1 tsp (5 mL)
- 1 large bunch or bag spinach
- 1 head butter or red lettuce
- 1 small bulb fennel
- 1 Bosc or Green Anjou USA Pear
- ½ cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Extra parmesan cheese chunk for garnish (optional)
In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and garlic.
Wash and dry spinach and lettuce leaves. Tear into bite-sized pieces and put in a serving bowl. Cut fennel bulb in half and slice lengthwise as thinly as possible. Cut pear in half and core. Thinly slice.
Slowly pour olive oil into balsamic-lemon mixture, whisking constantly until the oil is fully incorporated. Add Parmesan cheese and several grinds of black pepper. Drizzle desired quantity of vinaigrette over greens and toss lightly to coat.
Add the pears and fennel with additional dressing and toss again to incorporate.
Use a vegetable peeler to add thin curls of parmesan cheese for garnish if desired.