Fresh Tomato Napoleon
- 4 servings
Courtesy of the Florida Tomato Committee
- 4 medium fresh Florida Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) powdered mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn baby lettuces or other bite-sized salad greens
- ½ cup (125 mL) crumbled goat or feta cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese, about 2 oz (60 g)
Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe.
Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each tomato and discard; then cut tomatoes horizontally into 4 slices each. Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and sugar until well blended. In a medium bowl, toss greens with about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the dressing.
On each of 4 plates, place a bottom tomato slice and sprinkle lightly with cheese and greens. Repeat layering 3 more times, ending with the top tomato slice. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Serve as an appetizer or salad, with grilled beef or chicken, with cheese and fish, etc.