Canadian Style Rice Cakes
- 12 rice cakes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) finely chopped onions
- 2minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup (250 ml) U.S. medium grain rice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped wild mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- 2lightly beaten eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) each chopped fresh basil and thyme
- 1 tsp (5 ml) each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) lingonberries or fresh currants
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil, divided
Recipe courtesy of Chef Sean Tweten, New Brunswick
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Cook onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute. Add rice, stirring constantly until rice is completely coated with butter and begins to toast. Stir in mushrooms; cook until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
Pour in wine and stir until evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat until liquid has been absorbed and rice is al dente, about 15 – 20 minutes. Remove from heat but leave cover on until cool enough to work with.
Transfer rice mixture to bowl. Stir in eggs, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and lingonberries; just until combined.
In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of olive oil over medium high heat. Drop heaping tablespoons of the rice batter into a skillet about 1-inch (2.5 cm) apart. Cook until underside is golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Flip over and cook until completely golden, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm in a 200 F oven (100 C), while cooking remaining cakes. Repeat with remaining oil and batter until all ingredients have been used..
Serve warm with a dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream.