Watermelon Crunch Smoothie Bowl
- 1 servings
Here is a fun, fresh way to get your nutrients, while exciting your tastebuds. It’s a great breakfast, but also a wonderful lunch or even dessert or snack. Served in a watermelon shell, this smoothie bowl supplies more than a third of your day’s need for folate, more than twice your day’s requirement for vitamin C, and lots of folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and lycopene. And, the beauty of smoothie bowls is that they’re completely customizable to your tastes! We use almonds, but your toppings could include hemp, walnuts, chia or even sprouted watermelon seeds!
- 1 mini watermelon
- 1 banana
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons frozen unsweetened acai fruit puree*
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional, to taste)
- 1 kiwi peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup diced watermelon
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup low-fat granola
* If you can’t find acai puree, use an equal amount of frozen orange juice concentrate.
**Amount of smoothie will vary depending on the size of the mini shell half.
- Serving size: 1 smoothie bowl
- Calories per serving: 585
- Fat per serving: 5.8g
- Saturated fat per serving: 1.7g
- Cholesterol per serving: 7mg
- Fiber per serving: 9g
- Protein per serving: 11.7g
- Carbohydrates per serving: 121g
The night before:
A) Cut the mini watermelon in half. Scoop out the insides of one half, saving the shell. Of the removed fruit, portion out 1 cup, chop, and freeze. Portion out an additional ¼ cup and dice.
B) Cut a thin slice off the bottom of the watermelon shell so that it sits flat, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
C) Peel the banana and freeze.
In the morning: Blend the milk, acai puree, honey, and frozen watermelon and banana until smooth. Pour into the watermelon shell to within 1 /2 inch of the rim**. Top with the kiwi, diced watermelon, sliced almonds, and granola.