Spicy Olive Meatballs
- 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 ml) minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 ml) dried oregano
- 1 cup (250 ml) California Black Ripe Olives, sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds (600 g) extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) ground pork
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 egg white
- Kosher salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 3 cups (750 ml) prepared marinara sauce
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 455, Fat 26g, Cholesterol 141mg, Sodium 792mg, Carbohydrate 20g, Protein 36g, Calories from fat 50%.
Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium-sized sauté pan.
Add onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic and oregano and continue cooking for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
Mix in California Ripe Olives and set aside to cool slightly.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled olive mixture with beef, pork, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
Stir in eggs, and season to taste with salt and pepper flakes. Form into a dozen 3-inch (7 cm) meatballs and set aside on a clean plate.
Heat remaining oil in a large high-sided sauté pan over medium high heat.
Place each meatball into pan and brown for 4-6 minutes, turning occasionally until evenly seared.
Pour marinara sauce over the top and bring to a boil.
Cover, turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until heated through.* Serving suggestion: serve over a plate of warm spaghetti.