Roasted Beets, Hazelnuts and Fresh Mozzarella With Honey Bacon Vinaigrette
- 6 servings
This vibrant, sweet and savory salad is finished with toasted nuts and creamy fresh mozzarella.
Pair with California White Blend or Pinot Noir.
- 3 (8-ounce/225g) beets, any color, stems and ends removed
- Extra virgin olive oil (for coating beets)
- 4 slices thick bacon, cooked until crispy and thinly sliced, bacon fat reserved
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) honey
- ¼ teaspoons (1.25ml) sea salt
- ¼ teaspoons (1.25ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 24 small fresh mozzarella balls
- 6 handfuls mixed greens
- ½ cup (55g) whole roasted hazelnuts, skins rubbed off, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C)
Coat the beets with olive oil and place on a baking sheet.
Roast in the pre-heated oven for 50 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool and scrape off the skin.
Cut each beet into eight wedges.
In a large bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons (45ml) of the reserved bacon fat (remelted if necessary), measured olive oil, vinegar, shallots, honey, salt, and pepper. Fold in the beets, bacon pieces, mozzarella and mixed greens.
To serve. Divide the salad among six plates and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
Vegetarian option: Omit the bacon and substitute hazelnut oil for the melted bacon fat.