Peanut Butter Shortbread
- 45 15 minutes
- 30 minutes squares
A holiday classic with a peanut butter twist! This press-and-bake shortbread recipe is an easy one to whip up and get the kids involved in the kitchen.
- 1½ cup (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60 mL) smooth peanut butter
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) mini chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) peanuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
Per serving (1 square):
- 100 calories,
- 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat, 0.2 g trans fat),
- 10 mg cholesterol,
- 1 g protein,
- 10 g carbohydrate,
- 0 g fibre,
- 5 g sugar,
- 40 mg sodium
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly grease a 9-inch (23-cm) square pan, then line with parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir flour with icing sugar, cornstarch and salt. Using an electric mixer, in a medium bowl, beat butter with peanut butter until very smooth and creamy. In 3 additions, on low speed or stirred by hand, add flour mixture until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and peanuts.
Press dough evenly into pan using the back of a measuring cup. Using a fork, poke holes in dough every 1-inch (2.5-cm) apart. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake in centre of oven for 30 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven. Using a knife, score into 1½-inch (3.5-cm) squares. Cool completely, then cut into squares.