Hawaiian Tuna Poke Bowl
- 4 Serves
Courtesy of USA Rice
For a taste of Hawaii, try this healthy, gluten-free, poke (Poh-keh) bowl made with brown rice, fresh tuna and a mix of fresh and flavourful ingredients. For an additional flavour twist, we created a lemon pickle. Poke around your fridge and add other fresh produce to the bowl, you can’t go wrong.
Lemon Pickle Sauce
- Half a lemon, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey
- 10 oz (300 g) sashimi grade tuna, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thinly sliced green onion
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pineapple
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chipotle chilli powder
- 2 cups (500 mL) grape tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup (60 mL) diced red onion
- 2 small avocados
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked USA Medium Grain Brown Rice
- 1 Belgian endive
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded purple cabbage
Per Serving (¼ recipe):
- 510 calories,
- 15 g fat,
- 2 g saturated fat,
- 35 mg cholesterol,
- 350 mg sodium,
- 76 g carbohydrates,
- 14 g fibre,
- 14 g sugars,
- 26 g protein.
- 10% calcium,
- 20% iron,
- 10% vitamin A,
- 130% vitamin C.
Lemon Pickle Sauce
In a small saucepan, blanch lemon slices in boiling water; drain water and stir in vinegar and honey. Simmer for 2 to 4 minutes until syrupy. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a small bowl combine tuna, green onion, salt, and sesame seeds. Combine pineapple with chili powder in separate small bowl. Toss tomatoes with red onion in a third small bowl.
Half and peel avocados, thinly slice each half crosswise, work slices into a strip then beginning from one end, curl one slice into itself to create a rose shape. Repeat with remaining slices.
To assemble bowls, place 1 cup (250 mL) rice in bowl, add 2 endive leaves and fill with one-quarter of the tuna cubes. Arrange lemon pickle sauce, avocado rose, tomatoes, pineapple, and cabbage in bowl. Repeat with remaining ingredients for each of the four bowls.