California Pear Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Prosciutto
Courtesy of the California Pear Advisory Board
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sugar
- 4 individual size (4 inch/10 cm) prepared pizza crusts
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium size, ripe California Bartlett Pears, cored and sliced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped prosciutto
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 548 calories,
- 25 g fat,
- 28 g protein,
- 56 g carbohydrates,
- 5 g fibre,
- 78 mg cholesterol,
- 1003 mg sodium.
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion slices and cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, for 25 minutes, or until caramelized (soft and golden brown.) Add sugar and cook for 5 minutes more.
Preheat oven to 450 F (230 C).
Place pizza crusts on a large baking sheet and top with equal amounts of mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, pears, prosciutto, and Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Top with thyme and let cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve.