Blueberry Pancakes with Florida Orange Juice
Courtesy of Florida Department of Citrus
Start your morning off right with our Blueberry Pancakes with Florida OJ. Not only is this recipe full of naturally sweet and tangy flavors, each serving is an excellent source of vitamin C and a good source of fiber, calcium, and iron. Top with Florida OJ maple syrup and enjoy!
For the pancakes:
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) Florida Orange Juice
- 1 1/4 cup (310 ml) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons (15 ml) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon (3.5 ml+) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml+) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml+) ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cardamom
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) non-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup (250 ml) blueberries, optional
- Non-stick spray
For the Florida OJ maple syrup:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Florida Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) maple syrup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 6 servings (224g per serving)
Nutritional Facts: 300 calories per serving, Total Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 630 mg, Total Carbohydrate 63 g, Protein 8 g
Make Pancake Mix:
Place the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom into a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
Place the Florida Orange Juice, eggs and buttermilk in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the liquid to the dry mixture and stir together with a spatula just until combined. There should still be lumps. Do not overmix. Fold in the blueberries.
Pour Florida Orange Juice and maple syrup into a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Pour into a dispenser.
Spray an electric griddle or skillet with non-stick spray and set over medium-high heat.
Once the pan is hot, scoop 1/4 cup ( 60 ml) of batter into the pan and cook until bubbles form around the edges and the pancake is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to an ovenproof plate and keep warm in the oven. Repeat until all the batter is cooked.
Serve with Florida OJ maple syrup.