3 Pepper and Peanut Beef Chili
- 4 - 8 hours
- 4 - 6 servings
Spice up your dinner with a delicious bowl of chili, packed with beef, chipotle and – the secret ingredient – peanut butter. Add hot peppers as desired to give your chili a kick!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Slow cooker time: 4 to 8 hours
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil, preferably peanut
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) peanut butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried oregano leaves and ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz/798 mL)
- 1 can whole tomatoes (28 oz/798 mL)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (19 oz/540 mL)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced, or 1 tsp (5 mL) chipotle or regular hot pepper sauce
- 8 to 10 sweet mini colourful peppers
- Toppings (optional): Sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and diced avocado
Tip: For an easy veggie chili, swap out meat for an additional can of black beans.
- 400 calories,
- 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat, 0.3 g trans fat),
- 45 mg cholesterol,
- 26 g protein,
- 36 g carbohydrate,
- 10 g fibre,
- 12 g sugar,
- 1200 mg sodium
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add beef, onion, garlic and ½ the jalapeno, stirring to break up meat. Cook through, about 5 minutes. Drain fat if needed, then return to heat. Add peanut butter and spices to meat. Stir 1 minute. Add to slow cooker.
Stir in tomatoes, black beans and chipotle pepper. Cut stems from mini peppers and use a small spoon to remove seeds. Add to slow cooker and stir. Cover slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Taste, and stir in remaining jalapeno if needed. Serve with toppings if desired.