Sweet Potato Brownies
Sweet Potato Brownies. Delicious, rich, and fudgy! This clean eating recipe is refined sugar free and whole grain. Easy, healthy, and kids love them too!
YIELD: 16 brownies
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 8 to 10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (I recommend aluminum free)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper so that you have some overhanging the sides, then lightly coat with baking spray. Set aside.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the microwave and cook on high for 7 to 10 minutes or until completely softened. Once cool enough to handle, scoop out 2 cups of the flesh and discard the skin. Place in a larger mixing bowl, then beat until mashed and fairly smooth. Beat in the melted coconut oil (or butter) until combined, then beat in the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the white whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix gently, just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely. (The brownies taste better the longer they sit). Gently lift the brownies out of the pan onto a wire rack. Slice and serve.
- Store leftover Sweet Potato Brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days or freeze for 2 months.
- I enjoyed my brownies best either right out of the refrigerator or warmed in the microwave.
All images and text ©/Well Plated.
Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 134
- Total Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Sodium: 42mg
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 12g
- Protein: 3g
Highly recommended by my yoga teacher, Suz